Club Permit Scheme

Financial members of the HRA are eligible to apply to drive their Historic vehicles under the VicRoads Club Permit Scheme.


VicRoads is responsible for running this scheme in conjunction with The AOMC (Association of Motoring Clubs). The HRA is a member of the AOMC.

Many people incorrectly refer to this scheme as ‘cheap rego’, ‘club rego’, or ‘red plates’. It is important to understand that this is not vehicle registration but rather a special type of ‘permit to drive’ an unregistered vehicle under restricted use provisions. A reduced insurance premium is payable based on the fact that the vehicle is not in regular use.

It is also very important to understand that in order for your HRA administered Club Permit to be valid, you must be a current financial member of the HRA. If your membership elapses then you will be driving around in an unregistered vehicle and open to penalties for doing so.

Vicroads is currently reviewing the Club Permit Scheme (CPS). This has come about as a result of numerous complaints received by Victoria Police and other authorities in relation to CPS vehicles intercepted or reported, particularly for example on some TV shows depicting highly modified vehicles bearing CPS plates.

As a consequence of the above rumblings, the HRA committee has decided to be proactive and instigate a more thorough inspection criteria and record keeping system. The HRA is now in a position where we have in excess of 250 vehicles on the Club Permit Scheme. The majority of these are not competition vehicles (i.e. with ROPS, "warpaint", etc).

In February 2010, the HRA signed an agreement (page 1, page 2) with Vicroads which among other things requires that HRA warrants that the vehicle is safe for use on a highway. To help us in the administration and conformity of the HRAs agreement with Vicroads, our inspection regime will as of the 1st of May 2014, be as follows: (click on the links below)

HRAs inspector/signatories

Fee Structure: (payable to the inspector - NOT to the HRA):

New permit applications


Change of engine number

Country applicants or renewals

Renewals for laid up vehicle

Bringing your vehicle to the HRA from another club

Modified Vehicles (other than competition vehicles, i.e. those with ROPS), will be subject to Vehicle Standards Information Bulletin 8 (VSI 8 = Vic State) & Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 (VSB14 = Federal). ***Seek advice before modifying your vehicle***

Rally Vehicles post 1/1/86 WILL NOT be admitted to the CPS under the HRA. If your post 1/1/86 vehicle is modified (e.g. ROPS) it will need to go onto the RP Plate scheme.

For more information see the AOMC site.  This site includes details on the Club Permit Scheme and a comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions page.